Gorge and ghyll LEADER TRAINING
The Gorge & Ghyll Leader Award provides a training & assessment scheme for individuals who wish to take responsibility for others in the Gorge/Ghyll environment.This is a 2 day training course.
To achieve the GGL Award candidates are required to attend a training course of a minimum of two days. An individual action plan will be provided by your trainer to assist you in your development, then the candidate can proceed to assessment.
- Must be 18 years or older.
- Candidates must have a log book of experience prior to training and assessment.
- Good level of fitness, mental health and swimming ability.
- Candidates must be familiar with pre-learning documents.
- Have previously completed a minimum of 10 personal exploration trips, in at least 3 different venues.
Registration to UK Canyon Association will be completed on your behalf when attending training or assessment. The cost of this is covered by the trainer/assessor fees when they register your space on the desired training or assessment course with UKCA.
The syllabus outlines what the content of the training will include and gives an idea of what tasks the candidate will be asked to complete. All judgements on how the candidate meets the syllabus must be based on current good practice and industry standards.
Assessors use three types of direct evidence to determine a candidate’s competency:
- Questioning and discussion.
- Observation of practical tasks.
- Delivery of Content
MODULE 1 - CORE SKILLS & LOCAL KNOWLEDGE
- Pre-Gorge/Ghyll Session Evaluation
- Gorge/ Ghyll Environment
- Emergency - Equipment, Procedures & Risk Assessment
MODULE 2 - LEADERSHIP & GROUP SUPERVISION
- Leadership and Group/ Client Management
- Incident Management
- Technical Ability
** See the GGL Handbook for further info